The Pathways ePortfolio System is intended to be a general guide for students and your Counselor Advocates to developing a matured ePortfolio that is sure to impress potential employers, graduate programs, professors, family and friends. Our manual includes valuable resources and tips to help you reflect on your learning and demonstrate your achievement of key milestones as you progress in your curricular and co-curricular learning from the first year through graduation. Here’s what we’re talking about when we talk about key milestones of learning:
1. Connection: You are able to see how their attitudes, behaviors, and actions are connected to each other, and understand what their effects are on important aspects of your learning both inside and outside of your academics.
2. Exploration: You are asking many “why” and “how come” questions at this stage. Your need for answers will lead you to explore and experience in-depth learning.
3. Integration: When you’ve come to discover some meaningful answers to your questions, you are able to incorporate and internalize your learning into your existing knowledge base.
4. Commitment: You can develop goals around your new-found knowledge, and begin to plan and commit to achieving your learning objectives and goals.
5. Commencement: The end is your beginning. Not only have you achieved some of your goals, you can boast evidence or examples of the progression of your learning and subsequent achievements. Think of yourself as a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. The cocoon is what you can leave behind in your ePorfolio as proof of your metamorphosis.
The Pathways ePortfolio is called a "system" because it incorporates this dynamic cycle of milestones and checkpoints. Success at one checkpoint will lead to success at others; while failure may create disharmony and confusion. What's important to note is that your ePortfolio will be a living, breathing organism--it will thrive when you thrive, and grow when you grow.
At this point, are you confused and overwhelmed? Or are you excited, but still unsure what all this is about? Maybe the following list of the benefits of owning your own ePortfolio can elucidate some things for you:
- Have you ever wished to have a museum named in your honor? Well, now you’ll have one! In fact, you can name it whatever you want! Your ePorfolio will showcase all your accomplishments and best school work to others (e.g. employers, professors, mentees, mentors, your future-self, etc.). You are a work of art, so show everyone what you've got!
- With an ePortfolio, you can access your work, track your academic growth and plan your career.
- An opportunity to use creativity to represent self, education, and potential.
- A portal that helps you realize, process, and plan your future goals.
- If you ever forget what courses you’ve taken or which professors you’ve had in the past, your ePortfolio will serve as a place to collect and save your coursework.
- You’ll be able to create a dynamic digital resumes to send to employers, professors, and other influential people for professional development purposes.
- A chance for you to reflect on your education, to make connections between where they are and where they want to be.
Pretty great stuff, huh?
- You’ll have a comprehensive record of their skills, achievements and learning.
Take a look here
at some examples of ePortfolios created by some students at another school. While your ePortfolio will follow a different template, you'll be able to get a better sense of the power that an ePortfolio possesses.
To start one of the most exciting journeys you'll take during your college years, there are only 2 steps to follow: 1. Set up a Weebly(R) account.
We did our research and found that Weebly(R)
was a better outfit than many of the non-free web development programs out there. Free and efficient? We'll take it! Follow the simple set-up steps here
2. Next, download The Pathways to Success ePortfolio Manual and follow the guidelines there. You may also go to Shuster 255 for a physical copy. Of course, you’re also already working with the manual right here. Click on the menu to the left for more details.
Best of luck and we can’t wait to see your masterpieces!